1. 100% polled births We have been told this is impossible. If it was easy why try?)
2. Breed for the shorter head of the traditional Brienzer Type.
3. Maintain and improve the dairyness of the herd.
4. Breed for the “treatment free” hardyness of the traditional Brienzer Type.
1. Acquire polled bucks and semen from polled bucks to breed American and Purebred Oberhasil does from 3~4 separate lineages.
2. Breed disbudded does with polled semen using Timed Artificial Insemination (TAI) and live cover polled buck follow up until we build up to 20+ adult 1st generation polled does and 4 to 5 live 1st generation polled bucks. These polled goats will be heterozygous (Impure Polled (IP)).
3, Breed 1st generation polled bucks to 1st generation polled does knowing that their offspring will be 25% horned, 50% heterozygous (IP), 25% Pure Polled (PP). Retain all 2nd generation polled and continue polled to polled breeding's. Track birth results noting any horned births proves that one of the 2nd generation polled parents is (IP). Any 2nd generation polled that has not produced horned kids in three generations needs to be tested for PP status.
A. Breed test polled does to horned buck. When we get 100% polled kids from a doe, she will be breed to 2nd horned buck. If 2nd breeding produces 100% polled kids repeat until at least 10 kids and 5 breeding to confirm homozygous doe.
B. Breed test polled bucks to 5 horned does. When we get 100% polled kids from buck bred to horned, repeat breeding and add 2nd group of horned does to confirm homozygous buck.
4. Once a polled buck and polled doe has been confirmed homozygous, start breeding for pure Brienzer type hornless goat herd. The offspring from this breeding will be 100% homozygous(PP).
5. Continue breeding program to continue identifying homozygous goats that can be introduced into the Brienzer herd.
6. Tracking heights,weights and head shapes. Take pictures of all animals, even the culls so we may track any physical changes in the herd.